Depending on your field of work, odds are you’re working either full time from home, or you have a hybrid situation going on. I’m gonna say what everyone else is too afraid to say: it sucks having to associate a part of your home as work.
What I mean by this is that sometimes you want to leave work behind when you’re going back home, but you don’t really have that option when you’re working from home.
My recommendation is to turn your office into a safe haven. It shouldn’t have to feel like just a place for work. It should be somewhere you can feel productive, yet still feel it’s a place for you to relax and focus rather than just work.
Personalized Desk Accessories
There’s a couple of different ways you can take this advice.
For me, I personally like having a custom keyboard around my desk. It does nothing special compared to a regular keyboard besides having a cool design, and a great sound when typing. It’s not going to drastically change how you work, however for me it makes the time I spend writing blogs or designing go by quicker since I don’t feel that same fatigue. It’s just a mental thing for me, it’s hard for me to describe.
For others, it’s a bit different. I’ve seen people have rubix cubes to give them a slight break, stress balls when they get anxious, or a random infinitely spinning orb that just provides a soothing motion.
Your home office should reflect who you are, and what you believe in. Even if it’s something small, it’s something that will keep you engaged longer, and make the experience more tolerable.
Custom Wall Wraps
Let’s get our shameless plugs out of the way. I have a wall wrapped office, and I could never go back to a while wall office. I’ve sat in one recently, and I felt like I was chained up, or locked up. My inspiration faded. It wasn’t good for my health or the company.
One wall wrap later, I feel better mentally. For starters, the darker walls allows for me to have less light reflected on my monitors, allowing for less strain on my eye and more accurate colors on my monitor. It also reminds me of the ocean, my happy place. I’m able to take a step back, look at the wall wrap, and be able to relax regardless of what I’m going through.
Here’s some quick bullet points of how custom wall wraps from Elite Tinting and Graphics can help your home office:
- Inspire Creativity: Custom wall wraps offer the opportunity to infuse your workspace with images and designs that inspire creativity. Choose artwork, patterns, or visuals that align with your professional goals or personal interests.
- Creating a focal point: A wall wrap adds visual interest, depth, and dimension to your workspace.
- Creating a Calming and Productive Environment: Beyond igniting creativity, custom wall wraps can promote calmness and focus. Incorporate nature-inspired designs or tranquil imagery to create a serene ambiance.
Residential Window Film For your Home Office In Duluth
More self plugs, but the fact of the matter is that window film is a practical solution to improve your home office. Here’s everything it can do for you (from experience):
- Glare Reduction: Sunlight glare can strain your eyes and reduce productivity. Residential window film effectively reduces glare while allowing natural light to fill your space. With reduced glare, you can work longer without eye fatigue, helping you maintain focus and work efficiently.
- UV Protection: Residential window film blocks harmful UV rays, protecting your skin and preventing furniture, flooring, and artwork from fading or deteriorating due to sun exposure. This preservation enhances the lifespan and appearance of your belongings.
- Privacy Enhancement: Privacy can be a concern, depending on your home office's location. Residential window film offers various options, like frosted or one-way mirror films, which maintain natural light while obscuring the view from outside. This privacy allows you to work comfortably without distractions.
Bringing nature into your home office can profoundly impact your well-being, productivity, and overall work experience. Here's how you can infuse nature into your workspace:
Indoor plants add greenery to your workspace and improve air quality. Choose low-maintenance plants like succulents, pothos, or snake plants to create a sense of vitality and serenity. Their presence can enhance your work environment and contribute to better air quality.
If you’re not big on live plants, feel free to go ahead and buy some fake plants from Ikea, Walmart, or Hobby Lobby. Even if you’re not getting that better air quality, you’re still changing your environment to include more than just a screen and keyboard. It’s still going to evoke a sense of tranquility, transporting you to a peaceful natural setting, reducing stress and mental fatigue.
That, combined with natural light, will regulate your circadian rhythm - sleeping when the night hits, and no strained eyes from fluorescent lights. Take breaks from your work, lean back on your chair, and relax for a bit.
Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
This is especially great if you’re leaning towards fake plants from local shops. Aromatherapy can enhance your home office, to provide both focus and relaxation. Whether you like using lavender, or maple, or any oil, it’ll go ahead and allow you to relax throughout your workday.
There’s a couple of different ways to go with Oil Diffusers. Essentially (pun intended) they disperse essential oils into the air with whichever sent you choice. It doesn’t just distribute fragrance but also humidifies the air to make it more comfortable. As for the types of oils, here’s your options:
- Essential Oils For Focus: Certain essential oils are known for improving focus, concentration, and mental clarity. Consider using oils like peppermint, rosemary, lemon, or eucalyptus to enhance alertness and mental clarity.
- Essential Oils For Relaxation: For a calm and relaxing atmosphere, essential oils like lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang can reduce stress and anxiety, promoting relaxation and a sense of well-being.
- Personalized Blends: Create personalized essential oil blends by combining different oils to suit your specific needs. It’s all about experimentation.
While essential oils offer many benefits, it's essential to use them safely. Follow the instructions provided with your oil diffuser and use essential oils in appropriate quantities. Some oils may cause skin sensitivity or allergies, so it's essential to do a patch test before applying them to your skin. Consult with a healthcare professional if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns about using essential oils.
Also, most essential oils are poisonous to cats, so make sure to do your research.
Transforming your home office into a space that is both visually appealing and optimized for productivity is essential. By incorporating personalized touches, custom wall wraps, residential window film, elements of nature, and aromatherapy, you can create a workspace that reflects your personality and inspires focus and relaxation. Customizing your home office to resonate with your unique preferences ensures it's a place where you can tackle tasks with enthusiasm and joy.